“Thy Womb” is a drama artfilm topbilled by Ms. Nora Aunor and also starring Bembol Roco, Mercedes Cabral, and Lovi Poe. Produced by Center Stage Productions and the Film Development Council of the Philippines (FDCP), the film is written by Henry Burgos and directed by 2009 Cannes Film Festival Best Director Brillante Mendoza.
Prior to its inclusion as an official entry to the 2012 Metro Manila Film Festival (after the withdrawal of “Mga Kuwento ni Lola Basyang”), “Thy Womb” already won 5 awards in various international film festival and international movie award-giving bodies which include:
- Best Actress (Nora Aunor) – Asia Pacific Screen Awards 2012
- Best Director – Asia Pacific Screen Awards 2012
- Bisato D’Oro Award for Best Actress (Nora Aunor) – Venice International Film Festival 2012
- La Navicella Award for Best Director – Venice International Film Festival 2012
- P. Nazareno Taddei Award Special Mention – Venice International Film Festival 2012
Furthermore, Nora Aunor is also vying for the Best Actress trophy at the 55th Asia Pacific Film Festival (CLICK HERE FOR RELATED ARTICLE).
Here’s the official plot of the film:
Shaleha (Aunor) is a Badjao midwife in Tawi-Tawi. She struggles to cope with the irony of her own infertility amidst the deprivation of her community. A saga of island life stuck between the devil of passion and the deep blue sea of tradition.
Watch the trailer here: