‘Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs’ Features 12 Musical Masterpieces for the Hopeless Romantic Pinoys
February 2, 2013 by Star Records
In celebration of 60 years of Philippine television, ABS-CBN and Star Records once again set the stage for brilliant Filipino composers to share their musical masterpieces to the world as it relaunched the country’s biggest multimedia songwriting competition “Himig Handog” with the theme, “Pinoy Pop (P-POP) Love Songs: Mga Awit at Kwento ng Pusong Pilipino.”
Now on its 5th year, “Himig Handog” received a total of 2,500 original compositions from Pinoy songwriters worldwide. And from the thousands of entries gathered, 12 songs were chosen as “Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs” finalists.
The 12 finalists are:
- “Alaala” by Ma. Fe Mechenette Tianga, Melvin Huwervana, and Joel Jabot Jr. from Iloilo (Lyric Video Here)
- “Ano’ng Nangyari Sa Ating Dalawa” by Jovinor Tan from Malabon (Lyric Video Here)
- “If You Ever Change Your Mind” by Marion Aunor from Makati (Lyric Video Here)
- “Hanggang Wakas” by Soc Villanueva from Australia (Lyric Video Here)
- “Kahit Na” by Julius James de Belen from Quezon City (Lyric Video Here)
- “Nasa Iyo Na Ang Lahat” by Jungee Marcelo from Pasig City (Lyric Video Here)
- “One Day” by Agatha Obar Morallos from Baguio City (Lyric Video Here)
- “Pwede Bang Ako Na Lang Ulit” by Jeffrey Cifra from Cavite (Lyric Video Here)
- “Sana’y Magbalik” by Arman Alferez from Caloocan (Lyric Video Here)
- “Scared To Death” by Domingo Rosco Jr. from Bohol (Lyric Video Here)
- “Tamang Panahon” by Wynn Andrada from Makati (Lyric Video Here)
- “This Song Is For You” by Jude Gitamondoc from Cebu City (Lyric Video Here)
The 12 song finalists will be immortalized by some of the biggest names in the Philippine music industry including Angeline Quinto who will be the interpreter for “One Day,” Aiza Seguerra for “Anong Nangyari Sa Ating Dalawa,” Erik Santos for “This Song’s For You,” Yeng Constantino for “Alaala,” Juris for “Hanggang Wakas,” Toni Gonzaga for “Kahit Na,” Bugoy Drilon for “Pwede Bang Ako Na Lang Ulit,” Jovit Baldivino for “Sana’y Magbalik,” KZ Tandingan for “Scared To Death,” and Daniel Padilla for the song “Nasa Iyo Na Ang Lahat.”
Two young songwriter-finalists will be the interpreters of their own compositions– Marion will sing her song “If You Ever Change Your Mind” and Wynn will share his heart out through his creation, “Tamang Panahon.”
Aside from the “Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs” CD, which is now available on all record bars nationwide for only P250, the 12 song finalists will be featured in music videos created by the students from some of the country’s most prestigious universities including University of The Philippines, Ateneo de Manila University, De La Salle University, University of Santo Tomas, Polytechnic University of The Philippines, San Beda College, Far Eastern University, University Of The East – Caloocan, MINT College, Philippine Christian University, Adamson University, and Technological Institute of The Philippines. The music videos will be first aired on “Himig Handog Pinoy MYX special” on MYX SkyCable channel 23 this Friday (February 1) at 6pm.
Just like its previous runs, “Himig Handog” will be giving away special awards aside from the grand prize. Fans will have the power to choose the winners in various special awards categories. For the Star Records Buyer’s Choice, simply purchase a copy of “Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs CD” at leading record bars and fill-up the voting cards or download your favorite songs via http://www.apple.com/itunes. For the Tambayan’s Choice and MOR’s Choice, tune in to Tambayan 101.9 and MOR stations Nationwide and request for your choice love songs in the CD. For the sa TFC’s Choice, Kapamilyas abroad can vote online through http://www.tfc.tv. While for the MYX Choice for Best Video, Support the music videos by requesting through MYX or register at www.myxph.com and choose your favorite “Himig Handog” music video. The deadline of voting for MYX Choice for Best Video is on February 23 (Saturday) at 12noon.
“Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs” grand finals will happen on February 24 (Sunday) at the Mall Of Asia Arena in Pasay City and will be aired live on ABS-CBN channel 2.
For more information about “Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs,” visit Star Records’ Facebook fanpage at www.facebook.com/starrecordsphil or follow @starrecordsph on Twitter.