The much anticipated line-up of finalists for the 2016 Cinema One Originals Festival has been officially announced by the Cinema One channel head and jury.
The chosen films showcase a new breed of Filipino filmmaking talent that takes the diverse voices of the Filipino independent films to greater heights.
The 2016 Cinema One Originals finalists for the Narrative Feature Category are as follows:
1. LILY by Keith Deligero. The story revolves around the story and origins of Lily and how she became a popular legend in Cebu as a shape-shifter wreaking havoc and fear.
2. EVERY ROOM IS A PLANET by Malay Javier. A quirky love affair between a mentally unstable girl who thinks her husband is abducted by aliens and her husband’s brother whose romance for her remains a sci-fi impossibility.
3. BAKA BUKAS PWEDE NA by Samantha Lee. Alexandra or Alex is a twenty something millennial with commitment issues who struggles to come out with the one she truly loves who happens to be her bestfriend and an up and coming artista.
4. SI MAGDALOLA AT MGA GAGO by Jules Katanyag. Drug-dealing and sex-starved goons mistakenly disturbs the peaceful lives of a frail witch and her nubile grandchild in a remote town in the mountains.
5. MALINAK LA’Y LABI by Jose Abdel Langit. It is a custom in some towns in Pangasinan to offer a life of an animal when constructing buildings, but one day during the town’s fiesta they discover the body of a young boy that leads to a chain of story and a chain of deaths.
6. DOS MESTIZOS by Petersen Vargas. Felix is a friendless achiever whose life changes after the arrival of half-American brothers and entangling himself in their dark ambitions.
7. TISAY by Alfonso Torre. In the world of semi-pro basketball, a beautiful bookie recruits a naïve but promising player to the underworld of game-fixing.
The 7 finalists in the narrative section completes the line up of Cinema One Originals full length features 2016 with the earlier announced documentary feature finalists namely:
1. Diary of Vietnam Rose (People Power Bombshell) by John Torres
2. Piding by Paolo Picones and Gym Lumbera
3. Forbidden Memory by Teng Mangansakan
The 2016 Cinema One Originals Festival will be held in November of this year.
Cinema One Originals is produced by Cinema One, the country’s number one cable channel. For updates, like Cinema One Originals on Facebook (facebook.com/CinemaOneOriginals).
Cinema One, the Number One Cable Channel in the Philippines, aims to support the movie industry especially Filipino filmmaking. It is under Creative Programs, Inc. (CPI), a subsidiary of ABS-CBN. The programming of the network includes a line-up of mainstream and independent local and foreign films, film related programming, and original content for television. Its tagline, “Ang Buhay Natin, Parang Sine” (“Our Life Is Like the Movies”) reinforces its affinity with the movie-loving audience who tune in to experience larger than life entertainment on the small screen.
Cinema One is available on Skycable channel 56, Destiny Cable Analog 37 and Digital 57. For more information and updates, like Cinema1channel on Facebook (facebook.com/Cinema1channel).